College is usually where it all started because that’s the place to experiment on love, life and also business. At SoJones.com, we receive many success stories from young entrepreneurs who started their clothing line business as a class project. But there are only few that holds on to what it started as. This time we came across E.R.O.S. Airo Valley and chatted a bit with John Mac, the brain behind the brand. Let’s get to know this new streetwear line better.
Introduce yourself and describe how your brand was started?
Hey whats up! I’m John Mac, owner and president of (E.R.O.S.) Airo Valley. Established in the fall of 2009 as a simple class project, the brand instantly exploded across the south with our first release. The shirts expressed messages of hope, determination, and hard work through unique designs. With college friends Jonathan Lewis, Wellington August, and Robyn Paige help the vision for the company took off..which has brought us to today with the company in the hands of myself and Robyn continuing to grow,explore, and express everyday experiences through our brand.
Describe this season’s theme for your line. Include any sources of inspiration (examples: 80’s punk, muses like Amber Rose, 70’s disco bands, Kanye, etc)
Our 2011 Spring/Summer line is motivated by classical summer vacations and voyages! The best thing about a summer vaction is that you never know what to expect. They are full of oppurtunity, adventures, and fun that you must embrace. This is our message that we send across and express through “E.R.O.S. Summer Voyage”!
Any product placements on celebs to keep an eye out for (examples: publicity photos, magazines, movies, music videos etc)
Celebrities Big Sean, Teryy Kennedy, LiL Chuckee, The Cool Kids, Actor Evan Ross, Kirk Franklin and many more upcoming stars(Viewable through our site). Also artist Dee-1 will be rocking on of our button down in his MTV music video premier with Mannie Fresh for “The One That got Away”
What has been a surprise fashion hit over the last year? (a particular piece, a look or even another brand)
The Wiz Khalifa hair patch. I personally thought it was cool for him to do it, but now it seems like everywhere I turn there’s another patch. I’ll just say it’s not for everybody.
What current fashion trend would you like to see thrown overboard?
Shirts that have designs with wayyy too much stuff going. Sometimes less can be more.
What is/was one of your most prized fashion pieces, past or present?
My most prized fashion piece would have to be the very first shirt that Airo Valley produced because it’s a constant reminder to me on how far I have come.
TuPac or Biggie?
Tupac, there’s a million reasons why. But I’ll just leave it at b/c he sought,expressed, & explored the reality and truth of life through his music. Summed up in his famous verse from “Changes” “I see no changes. Wake up in the morning and I ask myself, “Is life worth living or should I blast myself?”
E.R.O.S. Airo Valley GIVEAWAY!
E.R.O.S. Airo Valley is giving away ONE super dope package for ONE lucky SoJones.com reader. The package will include:
1) E.R.O.S. Blimp Tank ($32)
2) E.R.O.S. Sucess Shirt ($32)
3) 2 Snapbacks (1 in each color) – $50
That’s a total of $112 worth of gear, so it’s best to participate and try your luck.
Here’s how it works:
1. Answer this question: Name one of the package contents you’ll receive if you win this giveaway!
2. You can give your answer from July 15th, 2011 through July 31st, 2011. Make sure that when you comment you provide a link of where we can contact you (like your SoJones account, your Facebook, etc.). It makes life easier to be able to contact you should you win.
4. Drawing for 1 (ONE) WINNER will be held on August 1st, 2011. The winners will be announced on this page and on the forums page (http://www.sojones.com/forums/).
Article Comments Lottery Rules
* One package per winner
* Previous winners must wait 30 days before entering this contest
* Duplicate comments will not count, like posting “I love this forum” or “hi” 50 times.
* Garbage or nonsensical keyboard-pounding comments will not count, like “awr#$ASFasdfkl”
* Comments hating on other people will definitely NOT count.
* US Residents only
Don’t forget to visit SoJones.com’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SoJones and become a fan!
For more E.R.O.S. Airo Valley sneak peek, check our gallery below.