A new power from down under, Kores Bags is saving the world in style. If you’ve been looking for recycled products that are fashionable, maybe it’s time to check Kores Bags. SoJones.com talked to Kalina Molina, the brain behind the supercool operation. (Get a chance to win in another GIVEAWAY!)
Introduce yourself and describe how your brand was started.
I am a Brazilian designer who came to Sydney via NYC 5 years ago. I have always loved color and design, and one day had an amazing idea – what if we re-used the artwork skins from large outdoor billboards (usually turned into landfill) to make fashion forward, durable bags and computer covers? Its creative recycling, every piece is 100% unique and each one represents a slice of urban history.
While the current range was created from billboards that were once seen around Sydney, Australia, my vision is that one day the range will feature designs from all around the world
Describe this season’s theme for your line. Include any sources of inspiration.
My inspiration is designed to appeal to modern young professionals, those seeking inspiration for practical life whilst defining their uniqueness. The first season features a lot of great graphics and strong red, black and blue designs. Because the idea and each piece is individual it only borrows from the advertising its created from – driving a new style vs. borrowing from old trends.
Any product placements on celebs to keep an eye out for?
Not just yet, but will be soon!
What has been a surprise fashion hit over the last year?
Eco-Fashion is the hot trend right now for guys and girls, and the Kores range has really taken practical items such as computer, messenger and Ipad bags and made them into wearable pieces of art.
What current fashion trend would you like to see thrown overboard?
Hmmm – hard to say. Maybe the footless high heeled boots for winter… if its cold enough to wear a boot, its cold enough to cover your toes!
What is/was one of your most prized fashion pieces, past or present?
The first bag off the Kores Bags production line!
TuPac or Biggie?
TuPac all the way – can’t wait for the first line from a California billboard!
KORES BAGS GIVEAWAY
Rejoice fashion lovers, because 3 (THREE) very lucky SoJones readers will each receive 1 (ONE) Kores Bag this week. Here are the coolness you could win:
You could win one of these bags. AND, you don’t have to live in the United States to do so. This giveaway is open to participants worldwide.
Here’s how it works:
1. Answer this question: What’s the name of the brand we’re featuring today?
2. You can give your answer from June 17th, 2011 through July 8th, 2011. Make sure that when you comment you provide a link of where we can contact you (like your SoJones account, your Facebook, etc.). It makes life easier to be able to contact you should you win.
4. Drawing for THREE WINNERS will be held on July 11th, 2011. The winner will be announced on this page and on the forums page (http://www.sojones.com/forums/).
Article Comments Lottery Rules
* One prize per winner
* Previous winners must wait 30 days before entering this contest
* Duplicate comments will not count, like posting “I love this forum” or “hi” 50 times.
* Garbage or nonsensical keyboard-pounding comments will not count, like “awr#$ASFasdfkl”
* Comments hating on other people will definitely NOT count.
* Worldwide participants welcome
Don’t forget to visit SoJones.com’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SoJones and become a fan!