Since the first time we laid eyes on Akufuncture’s collection in 2010, we were hooked on its dopeness. So here’s a brand we love to follow up again and again. SoJones talks to Samuel Wang to check out what’s new with Akufuncture. [Participate in our other giveaway contest]
Hi again, Akufuncture! So great to see you again. How has 2010 been?
Hello again SoJones! Good to talk to you guys again. Things has been really busy for us in 2010. We were setting the foundation for 2011 and it was just building on top of all the progress we have had since 2009. We really love the progress because we are prepared for HUGE things happening in 2011. We have released two more season and expanded our product lines with V-Necks and Cardigans on top of our t-shirts, New Eras, and hoodies.
Tell us about your newest collection.
Our current season focuses on the story of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which is based on a turbulent era in China between year 169 and 280 (yes, there are only 3 digits in the year). We also had a shirt with a phrase in Chinese that I can’t repeat in the interview, but that ended up selling really well.
Our upcoming season is focusing on the 4 Beauties of China and the Life behind the Imperial Palace. They were the four most beautiful women in the ancient Chinese history and all four of them were part of the Life behind the Imperial Palace as either queen or concubines. This will be a very interesting topic for us to approach since it is one of the racier themes we have had. We would also introduce our first crew necks and tank tops in the upcoming season.
Which Akufuncture product gets the most attention from fans?
Our best product is still the design from our first season, the Monkey King. We brought him back for our current season and it has sold well once again and we are happy that our fans are that loyal towards our original gangster.
Any plans to move into cut and sew?
We are planning to release a jacket for the Autumn/Winter 2011 and we are super excited by our first foray into cut and sew.
Which celebrity do you think embodies the Akufuncture soul and why?
Justin Bieber? We kid. Lupe Fiasco, he’s just so understated and sophisticated in the way he dresses. He’s not too flashy and not too cocky. He is a perfect gentlemen in our eyes.
Fashion-wise, what are the must-haves and the must NOT haves in 2011?
Must haves: Akufuncture swag, low profile high top shoes (that sounds really paradoxical), and slim jeans (not too skinny please)
Must not haves: Anything orange, and tube socks (according to VH1, that makes you undateable).
Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj?
Nicki Minaj because I just love hip hop and rap and she’s got attitude, style, and swag.
The always fantastic Akufuncture is giving away ONE package of dopeness worth over $100 to ONE very lucky SoJones.com reader. Here’s what’s in the package:
One V-neck (retails for $14.99)
One Unisex hoodie (retails for $59.99)
And one New Era cap (retails for $35)
Here’s how it works:
1. Answer this question: What’s the name of the brand we’re featuring today?
2. You can give your answer from May 20th, 2011 through June 3rd, 2011. Make sure that when you comment you provide a link of where we can contact you (like your SoJones account, your Facebook, etc.). It makes life easier to be able to contact you should you win.
3. Once you finish giving your answer on the comment box below, here in the SoJones.com website, go over to Akufuncture’s Facebook page and click LIKE. This is essential, because only those who complete the steps will be considered.
4. Drawing for ONE WINNER will be held on June 6th, 2011. The winner will be announced on this page and on the forums page (http://www.sojones.com/forums/).
Article Comments Lottery Rules
* One package per winner
* Previous winners must wait 30 days before entering this contest
* Duplicate comments will not count, like posting “I love this forum” or “hi” 50 times.
* Garbage or nonsensical keyboard-pounding comments will not count, like “awr#$ASFasdfkl”
* Comments hating on other people will definitely NOT count.
* U.S. residents only
Don’t forget to visit SoJones.com’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SoJones and become a fan!