There aren’t that many artists who are having the year that Marshall Mathers is experiencing. With the exception of acts like Kanye, Jay Z or J. Cole or Kendrick Lamar, Eminem has been ruling 2013. He recently released The Marshall Mathers LP 2. Maybe you’ve heard of it. If you haven’t given it a listen, then you probably heard a couple of tracks off the new album. They’re only dominating the charts.
The Detroit native has just accomplished a feat that hasn’t been done in 50 years. Slim has himself four singles in the Top 20 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart with “Rap God,” “Berzerk,” “Survival” and “The Monster” featuring Rihanna. No other artist has done this since that little group from Liverpool called The Beatles did back in April of 1964.
So in honor of Em making history and ruling the music world, here are 25 things you didn’t know about Slim Shady.
25. Almost died of an accidental overdose of methadone in 2007. This forced Em to finally get clean and kick his addiction to prescription meds.
24. Refuses to tour extensively because being on the road is a trigger for his addiction.
23. Is left-handed.
22. Even after snagging three multi-platinum albums by 2002, he still leased a Mercedes-Benz.
21. Em is huge old-school video game fan. The lobby in his studio is full of classic video games like Donkey Kong, Frogger, and Space Invaders.
20. Claims that he wrote “Lose Yourself” in one take while on the set of 8 Mile.
19. Decided to get into rapping after listening to The Beastie Boys. He almost quit when Vanilla Ice got big.
18. Despite being from Detroit, Em is a Dallas Cowboys fan.
17. Em has only read one book in full. LL Cool J’s I Make My Own Rules.
16. Was rapping LL Cool J’s “I’m Bad” when he met Kim. He was 15, she was 13.
15. Told ex-wife Kim that he was taking their daughter Hailie to Chuck E. Cheese. Instead, he took her to the studio and recorded her part of “‘97 Bonnie & Clyde”.
14. Met fellow Detroit rapper Royce 5’9” when Royce was opening up for User at the Palladium in 1997.
13. During the start of his career, Em and Royce Da 5’9″ would hide brand new Avirex leather jackets beneath their hotel beds. They did this because Eminem didn’t want his manager, Paul Rosenberg, to think that was fiscally irresponsible.
12. The Marshall Mathers EP was going to be titled Amsterdam because he wrote a majority of tracks there.
11. After failing the ninth grade three times, he finally dropped out of school.
Image Source: Wikipedia
10. Released his debut album, Infinite, on August 10, 1996 through Webb Entertainment. The album was produced by Mr. Porter, Proof and Peter Schorn and recorded in the “Bassmint”.
9. Heard his first rap song, Ice-T’s “Reckless,” at age 9.
8. Was considered for Ethan Hawke’s role in Training Day.
7. The Slim Shady EP dropped on February 23, 1999 and went on to be certified quadruple-platinum and win the Grammy for Best Rap Album. Interscope was so happy with the album that they awarded Eminem his own label, Shady Records.
6. In 2007, Michael Jackson and Sony/ATV Music Publishing acquired Famous Music LLC. The purchase meant that MJ co-owned the rights to Em’s back catalog, which included hits like “Without Me” and “The Real Slim Shady”.
5. Came up with the name of his alter-ego while on the toilet.
4. Says that he wrote the hook for “Just Lose It” in only 30 seconds.
3. Eminem was beaten so badly by a school bully when he was nine- years old that he spent over a week in a coma. Some claim that his music has helped to bring more than one fan out of similar states, including a twelve-year-old girl who was hit by a car in Northumberland, England.
2. Was signed to FBT Productions in 1992, which was run by brothers Jeff and Mark Bass. At the time, he was working a minimum-wage job as cook and dish washer at the restaurant Gilbert’s Lodge at St. Clair Shores.
1. While at the 1998 Rap Olympics in L.A., a mail-room employee at Interscope Records became a huge fan of Em after catching the battle and slipped the The Slim Shady EP into the bag of Jimmy Iovine (co-founder of Interscope), who passed it along to Dr. Dre.