Wearing a ‘politically correct’ clothing is no longer for activists and celebrities only. And if you think you’ll end up in some washed out-looking clothing, well you have to check out Rapanui Clothing. The award-winning brand is all about making cool eco-friendly fashion for the youth. Brothers Mart and Rob Drake-Knight started Rapanui back in 2008 and with their degrees in Business Administration and Renewable Energy, they managed to establish their brand amongst the Top 100 Startups of 2008. The brand attracted more awards as it grows, including the 2010 Sustainable Business Awards, a runner up at the 2010 Enterprising Young Brits Awards and Highly Commended by the RSPCA at the Good Business Awards. SoJones.com talks to the geniuses behind Rapanui.
1. Introduce yourself and describe how your brand was started?
Rob and Mart Drake-Knight, 26, 24, 5”10 GSOH, Brown Hair, Brown Eyes.
Rapanui started as a result of conversations that we had following us both learning from Mart’s studies in Renewable Energy Engineering – we wanted to make a contribution to sustainability and felt that fashion was an industry that needed change. We started off in our parents shed with £200 and a box of t-shirts – we sold that box, bought two boxes, sold them and it kind of went from there. Bit of a crazy hobbie that just got out of hand!
2. Describe this season’s theme for your line. Include any sources of inspiration (examples: 80’s punk, muses like Amber Rose, 70’s disco bands, Kanye, etc)
This year, it’s all about the late electric 80’s, we’ve created a collection inspired by growing up with mullets, neon colours and keyboards.
3. Any product placements on celebs to keep an eye out for (examples: publicity photos, magazines, movies, music videos etc)
Keep your eyes peeled for celeb endorsement of our eco labelling campaign – http://www.rapanuiclothing.com/eco/ecolabelling-clothing.html
And although he’s probably past his best you might spot some of our threads on David Gest on MTV – he literally loves it, quote: ‘I f**king love your stuff’
4. What has been a surprise fashion hit over the last year? (a particular piece, a look or even another brand)
Our Panda: http://www.rapanuiclothing.com/womens-organic-clothes/panda-bamboo-top.html#110
Lily Allen loves Pandas and the Guardian featured it with her Panda Jewellery.
5. What current fashion trend would you like to see thrown overboard?
Fast fashion – cheap poor quality clothes don’t make sense and it will hurt your pocket in the long run – our bamboo t shirts will last in excess of 200 washes, a cheap highstreet t will have no shape after 1.
6. What is/was one of your most prized fashion pieces, past or present?
We had some pretty rad Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles sweatshirts back in the early nineties – I would love one of those right now.
7. TuPac or Biggie?
Biggie, ‘I love it when you call me Big Poppa’
In English – year 8 (12 years old) I had a classmate who used to ask ‘who is this?’ and then just rap at me – I didn’t know any rappers so he used to give me some names; biggie, mace, puff etc and then just rap at me and ask me to guess.
This stuck in my mind for 14 years:
B I G P O P P A, no info for the DEA, federal agents mad cos I’m flagrant, tap my cell and the phone in the basement
If you’re all about going green and agree with Rapanui’s movement, check out the brand’s full collection over at its official website: http://www.rapanuiclothing.com. Rapanui uses Certified Organic fabrics, Fair-Trade labour and Renewable Energy.
Rapanui is generous enough to give away 1 (ONE) hoodie to 1 (ONE) very lucky SoJones.com reader. Here’s what you could win:
Here’s how it works:
1. Answer this question on the comment box below: What is the name of the brand featured in this article?
2. You can give your answer April 1st, 2011 through April 15th, 2011. Make sure that when you comment you provide a link of where we can contact you (like your SoJones account, your Facebook, etc.). It makes life easier to be able to contact you should you win.
3. Drawing for ONE WINNER will be held on April 18th, 2011. The winner will be announced on this page and on the forums page (http://www.sojones.com/forums/).
Article Comments Lottery Rules
* One package per winner
* Previous winners must wait 30 days before entering this contest
* Duplicate comments will not count, like posting “I love this forum” or “hi” 50 times.
* Garbage or nonsensical keyboard-pounding comments will not count, like “awr#$ASFasdfkl”
* Comments hating on other people will definitely NOT count.
* U.S. residents only
Don’t forget to visit SoJones.com’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SoJones and become a fan!