Meet one of the brightest shining star in the streetwear game: L37. Although it’s only 4 years old, the brand has evolved into dopeness. Who knew there’s a touching story behind it? SoJones.com talked to Lady Z about L37.
[Participate in our other giveaway with Urbanears]
Introduce yourself and describe how your brand was started?
Hi, my name is Lady Z and I’m the founder of L37. L37 is an exclusive street brand that was birthed in 2007. Prior to the conception of L37, I made some significant changes in my life. After putting down my criminal lifestyle, I started teaching, writing and encouraging individuals in prison and youth who are gang influenced. I also opened a little store. This storefront allowed us to continue encouraging youth. One day, when I was in New York, looking for clothes for my store , God placed in my heart to start a clothing line. This clothing line would counteract the skull head fashion which was, at the time, a trend on the rise in the hip hop community. Although people took it for fashion, I was conscious of the evil that the skull head for signified. Anyone who has been through a struggle of any form, can relate to the concept of L37. Those who fall in this category are recognized by L37 as warriors and we not only target warriors, but we boldly salute them.
L represents Loyalty
3 and 7 are Holy Numbers
7 represents completion, meaning the perfect end
Ltres7 or L37 therefore stands for ‘Triple Loyalty to the End’
Describe this season’s theme for your line. Include any sources of inspiration (examples: 80′s punk, muses like Amber Rose, 70′s disco bands, Kanye, etc)
This season’s theme is motivation and warfare. In our community, the graveyards are expanding and prison is a part of life as we know it. Youth today are on a battlefield. The pressure is on the youth of this generation . L37 recognizes that youth are fighting a spiritual battle that is misunderstood by many. These youth are L37’s inspiration.
Any product placements on celebs to keep an eye out for (examples: publicity photos, magazines, movies, music videos etc)
French Montana and Quan. If all goes well, look out for Drake and Terrance from 106 n Park, and a handful of surprises.
What has been a surprise fashion hit over the last year? (a particular piece, a look or even another brand)
Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.
What current fashion trend would you like to see thrown overboard?
Men’s skinny jeans
What is/was one of your most prized fashion pieces, past or present?
Our varsity jacket because it was a hit against all odds!
TuPac or Biggie?
Love Big but Tupac!!!!! Big made great music but Pac rapped on issues from the depths of the heart.
L37 is giving away 2 (TWO) awesome prizes for 2 (TWO) lucky SoJones readers! The first winner could win the Red Varsity Jacket, valued $320 (size 4XL).
The second winner can pick from any one of L37 shirts (sizes small-3XL), with values ranging from $27 up to $35. Cool right?
Here’s how it works:
1. Answer the following question: What’s the name of the product featured in today’s Giveaway?
2. You can give your answer August 26th to September 9th, 2011 . Make sure that when you comment you provide a link of where we can contact you (like your SoJones account, your Facebook, etc.). It makes life easier to be able to contact you should you win.
4. Drawing for TWO WINNERS will be held on September 12th, 2011. The winners will be announced on this page and on the forums page (http://www.sojones.com/forums/).
Article Comments Lottery Rules
* One prize per-winner
* Previous winners must wait 30 days before entering this contest
* Duplicate comments will not count, like posting “I love this forum” or “hi” 50 times.
* Garbage or nonsensical keyboard-pounding comments will not count, like “awr#$ASFasdfkl”
* Comments hating on other people will definitely NOT count.
* U.S. residents only
Don’t forget to visit SoJones.com’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/SoJones and become a fan!
Check the full L37 Gallery below!